You can’t get much more American on the 4th of July than eating a dog. I grew up on Chicago Style hot dogs because both sides of my family come from the windy city, and if there’s one thing we eat every time we go to Chicago, it’s hot dogs. But they have to be done right. This is about as close as I can get you to the real thing, depending on what ingredients you have available. The right ingredients matter!
The combination of ingredients come together nicely to give you tanginess from the peppers, sweetness from the relish, tart from the mustard, salt from the celery salt. I’m always talking about your taste regions: sweet, sour, bitter and salt and there they are all represented. The umami region gets props from the beef dog.
- Beef hot dogs such as Vienna or Hebrew National -
- Poppy seed hot dog buns (you might have a hard time finding) -
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped -
- 1 tomato, sliced into 1/8 wedges -
- banana peppers -
- sweet relish -
- dill pickle spears, or quartered -
- celery salt -
- yellow mustard -